This event is not sponsored by Columbia SoCal and is posted as a courtesy for our Orange County members. Please register for this event directly with Wharton.
As predicted by last year's panelists, volatility is back! How will you be affected by changes in the stock, bond, real estate, and commodities markets in 2008?
· Will the Fed rate cuts continue in 2008?
· What role will international stocks play if the U.S. economy slows?
· How will a falling dollar affect your portfolio?
Find out answers to these and other questions as 4 leading market specialists discuss the future of stocks, bonds, commodities, and real estate and the effect of potential changes on your portfolio. Audience members will actively participate in a spirited Q&A with our speakers. The Investment Outlook Event has sold out in past years, so don’t miss this opportunity to network, gain insights, and improve your investing acumen!
View photos from the 2007 event here: http://www.whartonsocal.com/images.html?view_album=20
Our Distinguished Panel Includes (for detailed bios, please see the bottom of this page):
- Executive Vice President & Portfolio Manager, PIMCO
- Previously with Goldman Sachs where he was responsible for market making and proprietary trading of Emerging Market bonds
- Served as a financial consultant to the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit in Colombia
- Holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Pennsylvania and an MBA from The Wharton School
Jack D. Kappe
- Director of Acquisitions, CB Richard Ellis Investors
- Responsible for the acquisition of office, industrial, retail, and apartment investments in the Western United States
- Directly involved in the acquisition and/or asset management of more than $1 Billion of real estate over the last 14 years
- Holds an MBA from the Wharton School and a bachelor's degree in Business and Economics from UCLA
Rodney Olea (Moderator)
- Director of Fixed Income for City National Asset Management
- Oversees the creation, analysis and management of taxable and tax-free fixed income portfolios and bond selection strategies
- Portfolio Manager for the CNI Charter Prime Money Market Mutual Fund, CNI Charter Corporate Bond Fund, CNI Charter Government Bond Fund and the CNI Charter California Tax Exempt Bond Fund
- Obtained his bachelors degree in Economics from the University of California at Los Angeles
- Senior Portfolio Manager with AllianceBernstein's San Francisco office
- Formerly a Vice President with Goldman Sachs and Marsico Capital Management
- Special expertise in quantitative analysis and risk management of portfolio construction
- Quoted in such publications as The Wall Street Journal and Barron’s
Andrew H. Sassine
- Portfolio Manager from Fidelity Investments’ Boston headquarters
- Manages Fidelity International Small Cap Opportunities Fund and Fidelity Advisor International Small Cap Opportunities Fund
- Formerly a vice president in the Acquisition Finance Group at Fleet National Bank
- Received his MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
This event is open to all OC MBAs*, Pepperdine, ACG, ILASC, and Guests.
Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Time: 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Hors D’Oeuvres and Cashbar: 6:00 – 7:00pm
Program starts promptly at 7:00pm
Location: Westin South Coast Plaza
686 Anton Boulevard, Costa Mesa, CA 92626, (714) 540-2500
Click here for Google directions
$30 for Wharton SoCal members
$40 for non-members of Wharton So Cal, which includes members of OC-MBAs*, ACG, ILASC and guests
$50 at the door if tickets are still available
Price includes Hors D’Oeuvres from 6:00 to 7:00pm. Parking in the self-parking lot will also be included in the price.
Buy your tickets here!!!
*OC-MBAs is a network of alumni groups in Orange County that includes the following business schools: Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia, Darden, Harvard, Kellogg, MIT, Stanford, UCLA-Anderson, USC-Marshall and Wharton.
Executive Vice President & Portfolio Manager, PIMCO
Mr. Gomez is an Executive Vice President, portfolio manager and Co-Head of the Emerging Markets portfolio management team. He joined PIMCO in 2003, previously having been associated with Goldman Sachs where he was responsible for market making and proprietary trading of Emerging Market bonds. Prior to that, he spent a year in Colombia serving as a financial consultant to the Ministry of Finance and Public Credit. Mr. Gomez has over eleven years of investment experience and holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Pennsylvania and an MBA from The Wharton School of Business.
Jack D. Kappe
Director of Acquisitions, CB Richard Ellis Investors
Mr. Kappe joined the Los Angeles office of CB Richard Ellis Investors in 2007 as the Director of Acquisitions for the Management Accounts Group. He is responsible for the acquisition of office, industrial, retail, and apartment investments in the Western United States. Mr. Kappe has been directly involved in the acquisition and/or asset management of more than $1 Billion of real estate over the last 14 years.
Prior to joining CB Richard Ellis Investors, Mr. Kappe was a Vice President of acquisitions and an investment manager for Buchanan Street Partners where he was responsible for the sourcing, underwriting, closing and the ongoing management of value-add and opportunistic joint-venture investments.
Prior to that Mr. Kappe was the Chief Financial Officer for the Pacifica Capital Group, where his experience included acquisitions, management and financial analysis for the company's office and industrial portfolio. Mr. Kappe’s additional experience includes working as a consultant at the Boston Consulting Group in New York City and as an analyst with Coopers & Lybrand in Los Angeles where he focused on the valuation of real estate and operating companies.
Mr. Kappe received an MBA from the Wharton School of Business and his bachelor's degree in Business and Economics from UCLA. He holds a CPA designation and is a member of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) and the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP). He is also actively involved in the Wharton Club of Southern California.
Rodney Olea (Moderator)
Director of Fixed Income, City National Asset Management
Rodney Olea is the Director of Fixed Income for City National Asset Management, the investment management group at City National Bank, where he oversees the creation, analysis and management of taxable and tax-free fixed income portfolios and bond selection strategies. He also acts as the Portfolio Manager for the CNI Charter Prime Money Market Mutual Fund, CNI Charter Corporate Bond Fund, CNI Charter Government Bond Fund and the CNI Charter California Tax Exempt Bond Fund.
Mr. Olea joined City National in 1994 as a Senior Portfolio Manager, following 10 years of experience in a Los Angeles-based investment advisory firm where he managed taxable and tax-free fixed income portfolios for institutional and individual clients.
With years of experience in both research and fixed income management, Mr. Olea serves as member of City National’s Trust Investment Committee, and oversees the development of City National’s economic strategies.
Mr. Olea obtained his bachelors degree in Economics from the University of California at Los Angeles.
Senior Portfolio Manager, AllianceBernstein
Ms. Richardson joined AllianceBernstein in 2005 as a Senior Portfolio Manager (SPM). As an SPM, Heidi will be a member of the Retail Investors Investment Policy Group which has responsibility for the clearest positioning and communications of Alliance Bernstein’s investing disciplines for Growth, Value, Core Equities and Fixed Income to shareholders and their financial advisors. Prior to joining the firm, Heidi was a Vice President and Client Portfolio Manager with Marsico Capital Management, LLC. Before that, Heidi spent over 6 years as a Vice President with Goldman Sachs. She began her career in 1987 as a Portfolio Manager of short-duration and money market portfolios for The Blackstone Bank & Trust Company.
Ms. Richardson has been quoted in such publications as The Wall Street Journal and Barron’s. She earned her B.S. from Bentley College, holds NASD Series 7, 65, and 63 licenses and is a candidate for Level II of the CFA exam. Investment Experience: 18 years. Alliance: 1 year. Location: San Francisco.
Andrew H. Sassine
Portfolio Manager, Fidelity Investments
Andy Sassine is a portfolio manager for Fidelity Investments, the largest mutual fund company in the United States, the No. 1 provider of workplace retirement savings plans and a leading online brokerage firm. He manages Fidelity International Small Cap Opportunities Fund and Fidelity Advisor International Small Cap Opportunities Fund.
Mr. Sassine joined Fidelity in 1999 as a high yield research analyst covering the Telecommunications, Satellite, Technology, Defense and Aerospace, and Restaurant Industries. In 2001, he joined the international group as a research analyst covering small and mid-cap international stocks. He subsequently spent one year in the Hong Kong office following Chinese small-cap and mid-cap companies. He has managed Fidelity International Small Cap Opportunities Fund and Fidelity Advisor International Small Cap Opportunities Fund since their inception in August 2005.
Prior to joining Fidelity, Mr. Sassine was a vice president in the Acquisition Finance Group at Fleet National Bank. From 1993 to 1996, he managed a portfolio of highly leveraged middle market companies at Continental Bank and Heller Financial in Chicago.
Born in 1964, Mr. Sassine earned a bachelor of arts degree at the University of Iowa in 1987. In 1985, he spent a year studying in France and working as a marketing intern for John Deere. Mr. Sassine received his MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania in 1993.